Follow the link to AKC Puppy Feeding Fundamentals for some great advice on when, how much, and what to feed your new puppy.
Alcoholic beverages and food products containing alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma, and even death. Under no circumstances should your pet be given any alcohol. If you suspect that your pet has ingested alcohol, contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center immediately.
Avocado is primarily a problem for birds, rabbits, donkeys, horses, and ruminants including sheep and goats. The biggest concern is for cardiovascular damage and death in birds. Horses, donkeys, and ruminants frequently get swollen, edematous head and neck.
These products all contain substances called methylxanthines, which are found in cacao seeds, the fruit of the plant used to make coffee, and in the nuts of an extract used in some sodas. When ingested by pets, methylxanthines can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures, and even death. Note that darker chocolate is more dangerous than milk chocolate. White chocolate has the lowest level of methylxanthines, while baking chocolate contains the highest.
The stems, leaves, peels, fruit, and seeds of citrus plants contain varying amounts of citric acid, essential oils that can cause irritation and possibly even central nervous system depression if ingested in significant amounts. Small doses, such as eating the fruit, are not likely to present problems beyond minor stomach upset.
Although the toxic substance within grapes and raisins is unknown, these fruits can cause kidney failure. Until more information is known about the toxic substance, it is best to avoid feeding grapes and raisins to dogs.
Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors, and hyperthermia in dogs. Signs usually appear within 12 hours of ingestion and can last approximately 12 to 48 hours.
Because pets do not possess significant amounts of lactase (the enzyme that breaks down lactose in milk), milk and other dairy-based products cause them diarrhea or other digestive upset.
Nuts, including almonds, pecans, and walnuts, contain high amounts of oils and fats. The fats can cause vomiting and diarrhea, and potentially pancreatitis in pets.
These vegetables and herbs can cause gastrointestinal irritation and could lead to red blood cell damage. Although cats are more susceptible, dogs are also at risk if a large enough amount is consumed. Toxicity is normally diagnosed through history, clinical signs, and microscopic confirmation of Heinz bodies.
Raw meat and raw eggs can contain bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli that can be harmful to pets and humans. Raw eggs contain an enzyme called avidin that decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin), which can lead to skin and coat problems. Feeding your pet raw bones may seem like a natural and healthy option that might occur if your pet lived in the wild. However, this can be very dangerous for a domestic pet, who might choke on bones, or sustain a grave injury should the bone splinter and become lodged in or puncture your pet’s digestive tract.
Xylitol is used as a sweetener in many products, including gum, candy, baked goods, and toothpaste. It can cause insulin release in most species, which can lead to liver failure. The increase in insulin leads to hypoglycemia (lowered sugar levels). Initial signs of toxicosis include vomiting, lethargy, and loss of coordination. Signs can progress to seizures. Elevated liver enzymes and liver failure can be seen within a few days.
Yeast dough can rise and cause gas to accumulate in your pet’s digestive system. This can be painful and can cause the stomach to bloat, and potentially twist, becoming a life-threatening emergency. The yeast produces ethanol as a by-product and a dog ingesting raw bread dough can become drunk (See alcohol).
These ornamental palms are popular in warmer climates and every part of it is toxic to dogs. They are also said to be very alluring as some dogs find them quite delicious. Serious side effects including liver failure and possible death can occur, so be very careful.
With summer comes tomato plants in the garden. Make sure to keep dogs clear though, as they can cause weakness, gastrointestinal problems, drowsiness, dilated pupils, slow heart rate, and confusion.
We rub it on our skin and some of us even drink the juice, but aloe is something your dog needs to avoid. Saponins in this succulent can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, tremors, and general central nervous system depression.
Vomiting, diarrhea, excessive salivation and drooling, and abdominal pain are caused by ingesting ivy.
Another poisonous plant for dogs, this flowering bulb is a very common garden ornamental. Pay particular attention if you grow the bulbs indoors.
This lovely summer flower can cause drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and general lethargy.
A popular ornamental shrub in some areas, holly is a low toxicity plant but your dog may experience vomiting and diarrhea if they eat it.
Commonly found in the spring, these flowers can cause intestinal spasms, low blood pressure, salivation, tremors, vomiting, diarrhea, and even cardiac arrhythmia.
You know it from virtually every bouquet of flowers you’ve ever received. This small flower that accompanies floral arrangements can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
Very common, very pleasant to look at, very toxic to dogs. Milkweed will induce the usual vomiting and diarrhea, but your dog may also experience difficulty breathing, rapid and weak pulse, dilated pupils, and even kidney or liver failure and death.
Not common in gardens, castor bean is found in parks and other large-scale outdoor landscaping. If ingested your dog may experience drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, extreme thirst, loss of appetite, and abdominal pain. Potentially fatal in severe cases, which may present as muscle twitching, tremors, seizures, and even coma.
These common flowering shrubs are poisonous plants for dogs and produce serious gastrointestinal issues. They can additionally cause weakness, discoordination, and a weak heart rate. Potentially fatal.
Who doesn’t love tulips? Hopefully, Fido because they’re another poisonous plant for dogs. The usual gastrointestinal problems are accompanied by central nervous system depression and even convulsions and death.
Vomiting, diarrhea, skin rash, and drooling may be in your dog’s future if they ingest this common flower.
A very common garden flower that can cause extreme oral irritation and excessive inflammation of the mouth, as well as drooling and vomiting.
All parts of this flower, fresh or dried, are poisonous and should be avoided by all pets.
If you notice a decline in your dog’s health and he is presenting with any of the symptoms listed above, contact your Vet immediately or seek help from the ASPCA Animal Poison Control at 1-888-426-4435.
WE ARE SO EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE OUR FIRST LITTER OF COCKER SPANIEL BABIES! TAKING DEPOSITS NOW.